Friday, October 28, 2005

Blast from the Past: Old School Livejournal Introduction

Yes...I finally have a journal on the web. Many other friends have at one time or another tried to convince me to use a journal , as though it was the latest trend to be with the in crowd, I initially ignored them all. I've long been writing a journal using my old palm pilot w/the simple but great palmjournal application and had no intentions of revealing to the rest of the world my own personal thoughts. However, that was a very long time ago...and many things have changed since then. I no longer have the PalmPilot and my other PDA doesn't have a similar application. I've had these ideas in my head of what would make a good alternative program but college and work came about and could no longer set aside the time to create an app of my own (although, it may not be out of the question in the future).
Besides the technical points though, I've found myself to contemplate and think more and more about the topics and issues around me, creating an ever increasing desire to capture and express those thoughts and feelings . I make no guarantees that what I write will be of interests to anyone or be written in perfect english (or even english at all for that matter), but hopefully it can still be an insightful opportunity to look at life from another man's point of view ...MINE. Meanwhile the popularity of web journals and web logs have skyrocketed with friends using either Xanga, Blogger, LiveJournal, Radio.Userland, etc... Therefore, I decided that for matters I'm comfortable in divulging, I'll go ahead and use one. The immediate dillemma however is which one? A quick google research on the two most popular resulted in the following generalizations:

- Xanga users are about two years younger (Xanga at 18.2, LJ at 20.5).
- Xanga users posted less often but averaged almost twice as many comments per post (4.6) than LJ (2.6).
-70% of female Xanga users had more than 50 friends in their blogroll while only 40% of males had more than 50.
-Live Journal users were more likely to identify themselves as whites while Xanga users were more likely to identify as Asians.

Ahh, the last statistic was particularly helpful. Given that I definitely identify myself as asian and asians are expected to use Xanga, I made no hesitation and immediately created an account on LiveJournal.

I just wanted to say hi and take some time, to say WUTUP to all you white identifying Live Journal Users. Glad to be a part of this web community.

No comments:

Post a Comment